The 90s was the time when mega stars of today first started appearing on silver screen. And that was the time when Bollywood saw some epic movies hit the screens that are evergreen even today. This phase between the late 1980s to 2000s saw diverse shifts in movie making. Advance Technology came into being, like in Mr. India. Comedy genre picked up speed and was liked immensely by the audience. Outside country shooting started taking place. And many more.
Megastars of the 1990s
Over the periods in Bollywood, we have seen many stars emerging. Some of the actors like Amitabh Bachchan, Rekha, Dilip Kumar, Madhubala, Hema Malini, Dharmendra, Dev Anand and many more, gained popularity among the masses not only in India but also at International level. They are the stars whom every generation of actors will look up to. But these actors were given to Bollywood during the Golden Era.
The 1990s saw a new and fresh wave of actors. Where previous actors continued to be mostly in their comfort zone, these actors continuously strived to bring something new for the people. Let’s have a look at some of the stars who were introduced in the late 80s and early 90s and went on to become International figures:
- Shahrukh Khan – The Romance King of Bollywood made his debut in 1992 with the movie ‘Deewana’.
- Salman Khan – He came to Bollywood in the late 80s. His debut movie was ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’ in 1989.
- Aamir Khan – He also made his entry in Bollywood in the late 80s through ‘Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak’ (1988).
- Akshay Kumar – The comedy king of today first appeared in movies in 1991 through ‘Saugandh’.
- Ajay Devgn – Ajay made his debut in 1991 with his movie ‘Phool Aur Kaante’.
- Hrithik Roshan – He was introduced to Bollywood by ‘Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai’ in 2000.
- Kareena Kapoor– She was also introduced to Bollywood in 2000 by ‘Refugee’.
- Kajol – She made her debut with ‘Bekhudi’ in 1992.
- Rani Mukerji– She entered in 1997 through ‘Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat’.
And these were not all. Many more stars appeared in the 1990s which are popular actors of today.
Classic 90s Bollywood Movies
BOTY has compiled some of the best 90s Hindi movies that are remembered in today time as well. No matter how many times you watch these films, you will always find yourself glued to the screen next time it is played. Such is the power of these old movies. Today, no doubt huge blockbusters are released. But there are fewer chances you would keep seeing them again and again. However, same is not the case with older movies. Let’s have a look at some superhit Hindi Movies list of 90s and reminisce the time.